VA Privacy Service ensures that VA privacy policies comply with federal privacy regulatory requirements and legislative mandates, as well as promoting those policies throughout VA. The development of appropriate directives and handbooks ensures VA's compliance with Federal regulatory requirements and legislative mandates. These regulatory requirements and legislated mandates include:
- • Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended 5 U.S.C. § 552a);
- • Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA);
- • Office of Management and Budget (OMB) guidance on computer cookies,
- • OMB Circular A-130;
- • Government Paperwork Reduction Act;
- • E-Government Act of 2002; and
- • Federal Information Security Modernization Act of 2014 (FISMA).
VA’s robust set of policies and regulations govern data privacy, access control, data and records management,
and data sharing. VA employs a rigorous framework of clauses and agreements that enforce these policies
within VA and with our partners.
You can find VA’s privacy policies, procedures and regulations here.